Thursday, January 31, 2008

1/31/08

Where do they days go? Actually, I've been going to bed before midnight, and it's really nice! Then, I get up early and the day starts out so much better!

Big news - Dion got accepted to BYU's EMBA program! Way to go! (Of course, I knew all along that he would.)

When we went to the grocery store this week I picked up a coloring page for Jenna. They have coloring contests now and then. The theme of this page was Valentine's Day. When Jenna looked at it she said, "Oh, look! They're putrids!" (Cupids - cute. I wonder where she heard the word putrid? I don't use it on a regular basis. . .)

On the same trip to the grocery store I bought 3 of their re-useable grocery bags for $.99 each. I'm excited to use them. I wrote a reminder on my grocery list on the fridge to "take bags." They're a trendy shade of green. Plus, for each plastic/paper bag you don't use they give you a $.05 credit. A good deal all around.

I found that I like edamame cold out of the fridge best.

It has been howling and snowing here for days. I don't really like the bitter wind, but I do kind of like how the snow looks when it blows across the road. It's kind of wild and eerie.

We watched the LOST premiere tonight. As good as usual - left us hanging at the end. I also watched the Eli Stone pilot. I like Jonny Lee Miller, but I didn't find the show extraordinary. Sometimes I wish TV had never been invented. Thanks alot, Philo T. Farnsworth.

To support a kid in our neighborhood who is trying to pay for a band trip we bought 2 tubs of cookie dough. Not good. We've been making a dozen cookies every night. It's just too easy.

I notice that with homeschool I sometimes get too caught up in making sure every lesson gets done every day. Tension arises between Corey and me - butting heads, nagging, bargaining. Why? I don't want home to be an even less enjoyable place than school. I'm the teacher, I can decide what needs to get done and when, he and I can talk about how much is necessary, how much he can handle and what he enjoys and how we can learn from it. I think structure is good, sometimes you just have to do stuff, even if you don't like it. But, there's a balance. I feel like I lose the vision of why I wanted to try this in the first place - the freedom and flexibility. I think it's time I sit back and picture in my mind the kind of experience I wanted this to be and work toward that again.

Jenna and I got haircuts on Saturday. Jenna always looks cute. She went from just below her shoulders to just below her chin. Mine was just a trim. I went from just below my shoulder to just above my shoulders. I had her cut out some of the layers. And, she said she "under cut" it. It's fine, but I don't love it. Dion likes it. When I have layers I think I should grow them out, when I don't, I think I need to cut them again. I have serious decision making problems in all aspects of my life.

I get wordier and wordier as I continue to type. I've gotta stop before it's too late! The laptop computer says 11:57 pm, so I need to sign off!

2 comments:

Sydni said...

What exactly is Dion going to study in BYU's EMBA program?

Putrids vs. cupids - soooo cute and FUNNY!

We too watched LOST last night. Clint thinks it's the best show on TV. I just think it is so mysterious that sometimes I laugh. I don't always laugh though and get really scared other times.

Sara said...

Summer, I saw the link to your blog from Emily's blog and I love reading yours. You remind me a lot of myself - maybe that's why I like reading about you! hahaha! Anyway, we miss seeing Jenna. Tell Dion congrats from us. I've never watched "lost" - someday maybe I'll rent it or something and watch the whole thing. Anyway, if you need to escape the cold and snow, come on down to Houston. My kids were outside on the swingset yesterday. They had jackets on but it isn't all that cold here