Friday, January 18, 2008

1/20/08

Both Corey and Jenna had their half-birthdays this week. Jenna 6 1/2 on the 16th and Corey 9 1/2 on the 18th.

I made this Cranberry Cider a few days ago in the crock pot. I quite like it. Dion thinks it's too spicy. I used Cranberry-Raspberry juice because that's what we had on hand. We have a running joke that I never follow a recipe exactly, I always have to tweak it for some reason.

Corey and I attended his Cub Scout Pack meeting on Thursday. We did some activities pertaining to environmental awareness/recycling. He got to be in the flag color guard unexpectedly. That fulfills one of his requirements. Pretty uneventful otherwise. There are a couple of requirements I thought we could work on today.

On Friday we went to the library. I'd put 7 books on hold, so I could just walk in and pick them up. Then, we spent some time browsing. We always end up with a bulging bag. There are so many books that look fun to read. I got Washington Irving's Rip Van Winkle to read out loud with the kids. Jenna got a cool computer game called Dollhouse. It's sort of like an interior design game. She can change rug, upholstery, textile colors, decorations, floor coverings etc. We like that better than the make-over/fashion show/princess games.

Friday night Corey and I made some brownies and Dion picked up Breyer's mint chocolate chip ice cream. So, that was a tasty dessert.

On Saturday we went to Cabela's and looked around at all of the animals. Dion had never been before. Corey and Jenna also got a chance to try shooting a bow and arrow. I think archery might be something Corey could get into.

Saturday evening we played Chutes and Ladders and Rummikub. Luckily, there were no tears or fits when someone else won. Dion has a fun-loving, mellowing influence. For example, he kept saying it was good to get the longest chute down because then, only 2 spaces in front of you, you might get the opportunity to take the longest ladder back up. Anyway, I believe they're starting to understand good sportsmanship. We should try Battleship again. The two times Jenna and I played she plucked out her ships and chucked them down onto the table the first time I blew one of hers up.

I finished listening to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows last night. I love it! It amazes me how good writing can captivate a person! It is, I confess, a nice way to escape reality for a while.

My back felt pretty good yesterday. Today it hurts quite a bit again, lower left side.

I think I might change my posts to focus on what I'm grateful for each day. Dion said that he thinks I spend too much time comparing myself to others and lamenting what talents and skills I lack. But, I can't just say, "Oh, I'm lousy at this, but WHO cares?" I should be trying to improve. I need to make a conscious choice about what is most important to me and my family and work on those items, one or two at a time until they become a habit - a return to goal planning and setting. Sometimes I wish I had a less serious personality. It would be nice to be naturally lighthearted and cheerful and laid back. . . In my graduating class I was voted "happiest." What happened? I think I've always expected a lot of myself, but as years go by and responsibilities pile up, my performance doesn't satisfy me. I must remember that reality CAN be mostly positive, it's all a matter of perspective and choosing to look at the bright side and continuing to move in the right direction, little by little.

For dinner I'm planning Chicken and New Potato Stew. A simple, yet healthy, recipe I began making when we lived in Oregon.

I got a break from Sunbeams today. We stayed with them during Primary Sharing Time, but then the Young Women took over for class time so all the women could attend a Visiting Teaching Conference. At first Randy wanted me to sit with him in his class, so I did for a minute, but when I left, he came out after me. We got a drink and then I told him he could either stay sitting on the couch in the foyer with me or go to class with the girls. After about 15 minutes he decided that class was probably more fun than sitting. So, with a bit of apprehension, he went to class. I caught the last 30 minutes of Relief Society. Apparently, during class time Dion heard Randy making a ruckus in the hall. He found one of the young women teachers trying to quiet him down. So, Dion ended up sitting with him for a little bit, too. I guess Randy was just born with spunk and fight in him - that must be what enabled him to survive!

2 comments:

Sydni said...

How great that you are working on sportsmanship with your kids... I STILL have difficulty with my own sportsmanship at the ripe old age of 29!

Personally, I haven't noticed any comparing or lamenting, but I'm not your husband either.... ??

AND - sometime (if/when you have time, hahah, I know) I'd really like your Chicken & New Potato Soup recipe. :)

JeremyNSunny said...

Heehee ... I was going to ask about that recipe too! LOL

What do you do while you're listening to a book on tape? I wonder if I could just SIT THERE and listen. Ahhhh ... that would feel really relaxing, I think. But I'm afraid my hands would get bored, so to speak.

Voted "happiest"! I remember! Better than what Jeremy gets to be remembered for, same graduating class: "Best Belcher". ... Makin' me proud ... and all.

I feel the same way sometimes when I look back to how I felt then and how I feel now. It's a good perspective check because I don't really want to be quite as carefree as I was; eternal things are at stake now moreso than ever. However, sometimes it's easy to get bogged down in 'life-stuff' that I'm guilty of turning into a bigger burden than necessary, as well.... (sigh) ... figuring it all out....