Thursday, January 17, 2008

1/17/08

I am enjoying the picture I put in my blog title. I just want to keep coming back to the laptop and looking at it. I stood under the maple tree in our back yard with my back against the trunk and looked up.

We/I am on disc 14 out of 17 for Harry Potter. So, it looks like we will have it back to the library on time. It's nearly as much fun as reading the book - you just can't stop because it's so exciting. I like listening though because you can listen AND get other stuff done (dishes, stretches, sweeping, etc).

Today is my Dad and step-Mom's 21st anniversary. It's weird that Dion and I have been married only 10 years less than they have!

School today - decimals for math, wrote 12 m words for spelling/cursive practice, a grammar lesson on adjectives and, last, taking notes for a Saturn report. Right now, he's cutting out a Spiderman mask.

For Randy we'll do a little activity from the Friend magazine today.

We got a flyer for indoor soccer starting in Feb. I am SO glad! Corey's been wanting to do indoor soccer, but I couldn't find anything for his age group until now. Jenna said she wants to do it, too. We'll see. I already signed her up for tumbling with some other girls from church.

The boys have been really good at the chiropractors. I take the laptop and put it in the playroom and they stay put and play and watch. (Every day Randy has chosen to watch "The Grinch" cartoon.) My back IS improving, but slowly, and it changes every day - one side will be tight, and a different spot somewhat relieved, then the muscles up higher tense up, or whatever. I do feel like I can bend a bit further, which makes putting on my socks and shoes easier.

At our Enrichment meeting last night we had 2 ladies (one from our ward) talk about organization. They have an organizing business where they go in and set people's homes in order. They had us take a quiz at the very beginning. If you got 0-2 points you are clutter free, 3-9 victim of clutter, 10-20 hard core hoarder. I got 13! I was surprised - I never considered myself a hoarder. But, the more I think about it, I DO save a lot of stuff. Mostly it's because I hate feeling like I'm wasting anything. I may have lots of stuff, but I know where it all is and can find what I need quickly.

Dion's been so good the past few nights about getting the kids pj'd, scriptures read, seeing that teeth are brushed while I've been out. Sometimes I say that we should swap. HE should stay home since he's so much fun, a better disciplinarian, has more opinions about how things should be (whereas some of the stuff I just don't care about). And, I'd get a job. Of course, we'd be living in poverty, but I believe he'd run the house well.

I am getting behind in putting laundry away. (Well, who am I kidding? I'm behind in everything. I don't want to do anything where I have to use my back too much - which includes, picking stuff up off the floor, mopping, vacuuming. I guess I could clean parts of the bathrooms. And, I've kept up with dishes OK.) I have a laundry pet peeve to air. We clean the kids rooms every Saturday. So, on Saturday, the laundry baskets get piled up with clothes that have been on the floor/bed/dresser all week. Even though I do a load+ everyday I still end up with piles on the weekend. Some of the clothes are dirty, but often they are still partially folded and haven't been worn! We've discussed this - check the clothes: is there dirt you can see? are they wrinkled/crumpled? do they stink? If not, it's probably clean. If THEY did their own laundry, maybe they'd be more careful, but I doubt it. I don't think they'd have a problem wearing a wrinkled, stained outfit they found on the floor, so they'd never have a reason to do their own laundry. Sometimes I try to help them get in the habit of putting their dirty clothes in the laundry basket every night before bed, but a lot of times I forget or we're all just too tired. Our bedtime routine is kind of long, as it is, so I don't want to add "cleaning your room" to it every night. I've thought about just saying that I won't come into a messy room to tuck kids in, so I'll give them a kiss/hug and ask our little nightly questions outside of their room. I know we could come up with a solution for this if I could stick to my guns long enough.

That's it for now.

2 comments:

Sydni said...

I REALLY like your new picture in your title too! I wanted to ask where you found it. It didn't even cross my mind that you TOOK it.

I'm so glad too that the flyer about indoor soccer arrived at your house and that your back and the chiropractor visits are going well!

Thank you for the Saturn information. :)

JeremyNSunny said...

Completely ditto Sydni on her comment about the new picture in your title! (She and I share thoughts most of the time, so this is no surprise to us. Sorry to fill up all this space explaining this, which you probably knew to start with. lol)

I, too, am excited about indoor soccer. I think that's something N & J would like, too!! Where to pick up information like that I will have to look into. I wonder if Jeremy would be as interested in that prospect as I am.... hm

I REALLY like that you report something 'educational' that you're doing with Randy every day, but NOT because I'm hot-to-trot about 'educating' preschoolers. Rather, to me it just confirms the truth that all parents homeschool their kids at least the first four years of their lives. :)

Your BACK! I hate that it's just going on and on and on. Any idea what you could have done to injur it so badly? Can you rag-mop your floors, like at the end of the day rinse out your dishrag that's on its way to the hamper anyway, and put it under your foot for a little floor swiping? I 'mop' like that rather often.... (shhhh! Don't tell ... now that I've posted it to the whole wide world.)

The rest of the comment I just drafted I have cut/pasted into an e-mail. Our families just have SSSO much in common right now (long-winded moms is just the start!) that your blog just gets my MIND GOING!! AWESOME! lol Thanks, again, for blogging. So fun. So inspirational.