Monday, August 4, 2008

Sweet Little Pumpkins

Come along with me as we enter a world of dreams come true. . .Yes! Believe it or not - there is actually something growing in our backyard!!! These are our pumpkins. We don't see actual pumpkins yet, just some blooms, but the leaves are big and healthy. I'm excited.You can't see them very well in this picture, but there are tiny little tendrils here and there. Here's one curling around the stick that says "Pumpkins." Aren't they cute - I'm so proud!Oh, and here's a praying mantis. Jenna spotted it on one of our front windows. She said she'd never seen a real one before.Some other quick updates:

I'm sick. I've had an annoying cold. It's now progressed to the persistant cough stage. Corey seems to have it and I think Randy had it, too. Grrr.

Dion officially started his EMBA program. All last week he was either at BYU in classes or on field trips. They got to go to Camp Williams, divide into teams, and try to accomplish all sorts of difficult feats using poles, ropes, barrels, brick walls, etc. while trying to not fall into water. They also got to go to a GIANT farm that raises pigs to sell. Dion said it was pigs as far as the eye could see. I think he said there were 750,000 pigs there. It sounds like a sad life for the pigs. In the middle of the week I attended a dinner with Dion where I got to meet several other members of the EMBA program and their wives. He will start his every-other-weekend classes in downtown Salt Lake in another week or two.

I got to be the spotlight in the Relief Society newsletter for our ward a couple of weeks ago. That was fun.

I'm trudging through A Vindication of the Rights of Woman. It's hard reading.

We had our garage sale and made about $175. It just feels good to get rid of stuff!

I've signed Corey up for K12 this year. I almost did it last year, but I backed out. Now that I have a taste of homeschooling I think K12 may be helpful. We'll see. They keep track of lessons on line so that makes it easier for planning, they set up field trips and such, and it's free since it's really just an on-line public school. We are currently waiting for all the materials to arrive. I wish I could be more unschoolish, but I just can't get my brain to go with it - I'm too uptight. Plus, with Jenna being in the public school world it's difficult to be divided - regular public school vs. relaxed homeschool - every day. So, that's another reason I think K12 could be good. In fact, if I like it enough, maybe I'll have Jenna do it next year. (Or even this year - the school got a new 2nd grade teacher on D track and they're asking for volunteers to switch to the new teacher's class. I don't want to switch Jenna because she's on A track with friends from church. If they don't get enough volunteers, they may just choose kids randomly. If Jenna has to move I may become bold enough to pull her out.)

That's it for now. (Cough, cough, cough, cough - I feel like Mr. Poe from Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events.) I'm sure there'll be more fabulous posts soon - we have the Neighborhood Night Out Against Crime, Back to School Night, Randy's eye doctor appointment, and a Balloon Festival coming up. The fun never stops.

2 comments:

JeremyNSunny said...

Amateur gardeners are we! Blog posts of little plants here and there, trying to do their thing. love it lol I'm surprised your pumpkin plants aren't bigger by now! I wonder if you'll get many pumpkins??? When does SLC's growing season end?

You are an adventurous reader. I am not. I know Dad wishes more of his children were, but at least he got one adventurous reader: Scott!

Is there any way (online, maybe?) to share your spotlight? I'd rrreally like to see it!

I'm sorry you're sick, and I hope you kick it quickly ... the kiddos, too.

You must be happy your garage sale is over. And, it sounds like it was a success! Are you happy with the effort v. result ratio ... as I was not? I think it greatly depends upon what types of things you have to sell.... "Big ticket items," right?? :)

The logic you are using to make your homeschooling decisions makes good sense to me. I had been awaiting hearing what you would do this year, so it's good to know. I know of lots of families who like K12. I *think* I would hate it, for all the reasons we've spoken about before. :) I look forward to hearing what you think of it!!!!!

What's EMBA?

Anonymous said...

I FINALLY caught up on ALL your blog entries! That was soooo fun after all these days. Your pumpkin looks beautiful! Any luck w/anything else you planted. I'm hoping to see more pictures. We got lots of beautiful plants, but the "fruit" is slow to ripen and, being that our frosts tend to happen very early, usually, we aren't hopeful about harvesting very much, unfortunately!

Sounds as though you and the family have been very, very busy -- guess it's no wonder you are ailing! You're "worn to a frazzle"!! Take care of yourself (then it will be easier to take care of the others)!!

I love you and thanks again for the updates and especially, pictures!!

ILY
MoM