Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'm better.

OK, I'm refocused. Sunny's comment helped lots. And, last night at our RS VT Conf. (Relief Society Visiting Teaching Conference) I talked to a lady in my ward who homeschools and is a teacher for K12. (She's a certified teacher, she's had her kids in public school and a charter school.) She had good advice. She said one thing I can relate to. She was talking to her husband one day and said something like, "Some peole just send their kids off to public school without even a thought. Can you imagine?!?!" It's true, now that I've studied and researched homeschool it makes educational decisions so much harder! I can't just go with the flow any more! Also, she reminded me to use K12 as a tool, not as something to which we have to strictly adhere. So, anyway, I've realized that it is A LOT my state of mind that influences how I deal with the kids and how I view life. Sometimes I just need someone to grab my by the shoulders and shake me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all need that once in awhile. Of course sometimes a hug is better than a firm shaking but... whatever it takes! :-D

Anonymous said...

Dear Sum:

I just caught up on your blog (and associated comments -- all good and thought provoking). I think your biggest obstacle (if you want to call it that) to enjoying the homeschooling experience is that YOU are a rule follower and always have been -- whatever they are -- and you are still trying to abide by (home)school rules (. . . whatever they are). Because they are vague and there is such a variety of options for homeschooling, you have difficulty figuring out what "rules" to abide by. It's difficult for you to just throw your hat up in the air and say, "WOO-HOO! Freedom!! to homeschool in whatever way works best for us!" (Like Sunny, for one, is so capable of doing.) You are still looking for . . . "rules" to follow and are having difficulty enjoying the FREEDOM!

Ya' think?

Anyway, I think you're doing a great job and Corey seems so much more at ease,happy, and adjusted -- which must account for something! You MUST be doing something right -- and better than the public schools.

I love you and hope you take another look around to find there are many in your similar situation, who are much less capable than you, and they are doing fine (just like I had to do when my mother left our house soon after you were born -- people less capable than me make fine mothers -- I CAN DO THIS!)

I love you!
Mom

P.S. I know, you're over it -- I just had to get my two cents in.
Blah, blah, blah, blah, huh?