Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Sick of it!
I am sick of telling people what to do: brush your teeth, get dressed, stop hitting each other, make your bed, practice the piano, do your math (grammar, science, writing, etc.), pick up your toys, turn off the TV, do your homework, stop whining, speak kindly, and on and on and on!!! Homeschooling exhausts me. Jenna's crying about piano exhausts me. It makes me want to not make my kids do anything. They can be losers if they want to and when they grow up and blame me I'll just say that I couldn't take it and I was tired of nagging and I wanted to have a relaxed atmosphere in our home and peace in my heart. I figure that if they really want to do something THEY can bring it up themselves and then maybe they'll be motivated. Society judges people on their accomplishments, but aren't our virtues are more important? Dumbledore said it well, "It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices." Perhaps I should spend my energy focusing on helping my kids develop compassion, morality, politeness, self-sufficiency, honesty, gratitude - instead of worrying about practicing scales and getting every single math problem right. I mean, yes, hard work is also a virtue and kids need to be taught to work toward goals, but isn't there a way to do it that doesn't cause so much frustration for everyone and that doesn't require coercion and manipulation? I needed to rant. It's a stressful day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am SO glad you rant sometimes! It makes me feel like I'm not the only one who feels that way sometimes and that its okay and we are all not perfect. Thank you!!
I say we give up on homeschool. You teach the kids those nice things, let someone else teach them scales and math.
At least Dion is not pressuring you to homeschool! To this very day when I move my shoes from beside the door to the closet, I hear my mom's voice telling me and my sister and brother to pick up our shoes... I'm almost 30 years old. Moms do so much and I mean, SO MUCH!
I'm with Dion. It doesn't sound worth it.
I love your rant. I feel ya, sister.
I'm so with you girl! And I don't even homeschool. The bad news is that even when they don't homeschool you still have to nag because there is HOMEWORK. A mom's work is never done and it's rarely fun either.
did I just say that out loud?
oops.
Your friend Debbie read my mind! lol I was just thinking, "Ummm, I hear public-school parents saying the same thing!" :) (sigh) Last night I did something I've never done before, but Jeremy does all the time. I said to the children, "Okay. Look at the living room and read my mind." I didn't have reason to go into the living room for the next couple of hours, and then found myself surprised that it was completely picked up (well, pretty much!!); then I remembered when I'd told the kiddos to 'read my mind'. lol!! Awesome!
Have I told you about the lists of our children's tasks I have listed and posted in our home? That has been a huge help to me. I definitely still remind and instruct, but way less than I used to.
One more thought. I believe that the parenting you are doing with the simple "brush your teeth," "pick up your toys," "speak kindly," reminders *is* teaching your children self-sufficiency, compassion, politeness, honesty, gratitude, etc. Just, thankfully, (IMO) with homeschooling you have more hours in which to do it, and more hours to use in positive interactions ... of which I'm sure there are many, Sum. Additionally, without the public school influences you have fewer complications - less 'backtracking' to *fix*, which in the public-schooling lifestyle has to be worked in on top of trying to cram all of your 'quality time' into the too-few, already-jam-packed hours with your children each day.
Take a deep breath. :) Pray. :) You are NOT NOT NOT a bad mom for feeling this way!! :) However, if making some adjustments would help you feel better in the day-to-day processes in your home, by all means - do so! :) Hugs!!!
P.S. When you vent, is that *it*? Do you even *want* this kind of reply?? All 'coachey' - blech. I don't know! I'm not much of a 'venter'. LOL! Is 'venter' even a WORD????! argh!
Great reply jeremynsunny! I don't know if summer wanted 'coachey' but I liked it! :-)
Post a Comment