Sunday, October 5, 2008

Weekend Culinary Adventures

This weekend before, after, and in-between General Conference sessions I spent a little time in the kitchen.I made Snickerdoodles. They're just your regular, average cookie, but I've never made them before. They turned out fine. The first batch was just right: slightly chewy in the center. The following batches were slightly over done. I used 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour (from the wheat I ground in my mill). I used the BH&G recipe.
Every now and then I like to get something new from the produce section. Last time I was at the grocery store I got leeks. One leek recipe that sounded good and easy was Vichyssoise. Vichyssoise is a leek and potato soup that is pureed and traditionally served cold. Vichyssoise is also fun to say. Anyway, tonight we had Dion's sister and her husband over for dinner and games. Dion grilled pork chops and chicken and we had spinach salad and vichyssoise on the side. I served the vichyssoise warm because I don't think any of us here (excpet maybe me) are adventurous enough to try it cold. It had a mild, pleasant taste. Everyone (well, the adults, the kids didn't have any) said it was good. Ryan said he would've liked it better with a few chunks left in it. (He's a guy that likes texture in his food. I remember Diane saying he likes to buy "high pulp" OJ.) Dion gave it a 7 and said he'd eat it anytime. I read several recipes online and then just estimated to make our soup for tonight. I used 2 leeks, 3 potatoes, a little butter, 2 c. chicken broth, 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk (or cream, but I didn't have any), salt, pepper, and a sprinkling of marjoram. I topped mine with chopped scallions.
None of these photos are mine, by the way. I didn't take pictures of my food this weekend.

1 comment:

JeremyNSunny said...

Oooooh!! Awesome!! I have done nothing with leeks so far in my life, except read about them and determine to try them in something 'sometime'. :) Flylady's food person, Leanne, uses them in lots of her recipes, but ... none that I've tried yet. hm!

Snickerdoodles are one of our favorites, but I don't make them very often because they have no health-redeeming value :) , you know, no peanut butter or oats or nuts or raisins, etc. (sigh ... and lol) I guess I could try them with half whole wheat, which I do for almost all of our cookies these days; I just can't see that being very good in a Snickerdoodle. Jeremy hadn't ever heard of Snickerdoodles until he married me!! I've been baking them since jr. high! lol And, as it turns out, they're one of his faves.

That Chicken Pot Pie looks to DIE for!!!!! It's one of my favorite foods; alas, Jeremy hates it!!!!! Can you believe it??! Well, needless to say, he has to eat it now and then anyway, unless I manage to cook it for the rest of us on a day when there are leftovers to suit his fancy. What a perfect 'fall food'. Mmm!! Invite me over!! :)) LOL!

Great job making it to a produce farm this fall! I wanted to, but looking at the calendar and the budget I'm not sure I'm going to be able to pull it off this year. (sigh) You know there's a farm in Bozeman that does some fun fall stuff, right?, including cider that you can watch them make for you. Toooo cool. :) Falllllllll, my favorite, favorite, favorite time of year.