Sunday, October 12, 2008

Visions of Horror. . .?

Last night we watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade as a family. Dion and I both think it's the best of all the Indiana Jones films.

After we were all tucked into our beds, later than we should've been, Jenna came in. Standing by my side of the bed, she said she couldn't sleep because every time she closed her eyes she saw scary pictures. I started to feel like an irresponsible parent for letting her watch Indiana Jones since that was what must've been keeping her awake. Dion asked her about these scary pictures. "Like what?" he said. J answered, "Like a mummy hanging from the ceiling." Dion said, "Where'd you get that?"
Her reply?

"Wal-Mart."

Huh?
That wasn't what we'd expected! Apparently, she'd seen a mummy Halloween decoration hanging from the ceiling while we were at Wal-Mart that day. So, my guilt was alleviated. Don't get too uptight about scary movies, we need to protect our children from Wal-Mart!

3 comments:

Sydni said...

I totally have a comment related to this! We went to the MSU Homecoming parade in the SNOW and wind yesterday and the Anderson school had a float to advertise their annual haunted house deal (fund raiser they have?). Well, the people w/ their float were dressed completely in black - even their faces were completely black like they had black hoods over their faces or something. Anyway, Sayler woke up from her nap yesterday talking about the scary black people in the parade, so it's not just Wal-Mart we have to watch out for I guess. Long story.

JeremyNSunny said...

Jeremy sometimes lets our children watch movies I think are too scary. Then, when they come in the night with their disturbed sleep, I always think, "If they went to him with their nightmares, he might not let them watch the movies!" So I know that 'irresponsible parent' feeling.... Don't get me wrong -- it's always within reason, but because of my formative years I tend to take a more protective stance on this topic, one of the few that finds him and me on those respective sides of the fence (interestingly). Two things about this, though. 1.) Like what has been stated already, we can't protect our children from everything, and 2.) I was a child who apparently didn't see *enough* scary stuff as a child in order to learn at a young age how to process it. To this day I still have nightmares occasionally (and sometimes 'day-mares') about The Neverending Story, the first 'scary' movie I saw. ... which, of course -- Jeremy takes every opportunity to remind me -- isn't even "scary"!! (sigh)

Shauna said...

Oh man, that is so funny! Out here, our kids are sometimes scared of Walmart too, but it's because a couple of the door greeters have mental and/or physical impairments that make them seem creepy to the kids. Levi used to have recurring nightmares as a kid about the movie, "Pete's Dragon"...could never figure out why. Oh...and I remember thinking "The Neverending Story" was TOTALLY scary as a little kid. The rock cruncher? Um..yeah, that's scary! And "The Dark Crystal" used to give my brother nightmares. Sometimes it doesn't take much! Halloween is sure NOT my favorite holiday though.