Sunday, October 12, 2008

Letterboxing

While Jenna has been off track the kids and I have done some letterboxing. It's very fun! It's like low-tech geocaching. You look up clues on line, go hunting for the letterbox outdoors somewhere, and when you find it you stamp the letterbox notebook with your stamp and write a message. Then, you put the letterbox stamp in your notebook. Jenna often says she doesn't like it and doesn't want to go. (I think it's because sometimes there are weeds or bugs.) But, she always ends up having a fun time in the end. I have to admit that I probably enjoy it more than the kids!

This was the first (well, second - we found one last year in MT) letterbox we found. It was in a cemetary near the U of U. It was behind this bush.
Here is the Salt Lake Real (soccer team) stamp that was in the box. Our stamp is the dragonfly - for the Davidson Dragonflies.
After that one we looked for one at a park near Randy's preschool, but never found it. We also found one in the Sego Lily Gardens near the library - I took pictures on my phone, but I don't know how to get them on to the computer. We also found a series of 3 at Hidden Valley Park. Then, we went to the Mehraban Wetlands, just across the way from Jenna's school, and found 2. Here are pictures from that outing.
The wetlands, before we started down the path. (Corey didn't want his picture taken.)Near where we found the first letterbox.Near where we found the second letterbox.
Following are pictures taken by Corey on our walk back from the wetlands to the van through a neighborhood.
The man behind the camera.

Some dude asking for directions on his motorcycle.

Then, Randy got hold of the camera. . .

One of our friends suggested going to the Wheeler Farm this week just for fun. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that there was a letterbox there. I'll have to double check. If you'd like to try letterboxing try these websites:



I like the second one best. On either site just click on "getting started" or "find letterboxes" or something and I bet you'll find at least a few very near you!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Sounds like treasure hunting...I wanna try it!

Kristy said...

I have never heard of "letter boxing" but it sounds very cool. Can you do it all over the US? I'll have to check it out. Isaac digs treasure hunts.

JeremyNSunny said...

Hmmmm, my curiosity was piqued when you mentioned the letterbox you found in MT. Now I'm even more curious! Thanks for the links. And of course all the cuuuute pictures. :) Randy's photography cracked me up; I'm glad you posted it. :)