My sister-in-law Stacey posted some pictures on her blog of her mom helping her kids make applebutter. It inspired me! Every now and then I get in the mood for applebutter, but I either can't find it or it's too expensive at the grocery store. So, I looked up a couple recipes on-line and we made our own. I was surprised at how easy it was!

Here are some posed pictures of the kids taking their turns spinning apples on the Pampered Chef Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer.
This is what I did:
1. Peeled, cored, and sliced 12-14 apples (enough to mostly fill our crock pot).
2. Added 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp. cinammon, 1/4 tsp. allspice, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg.
3. Let cook on high for 1 hour, then turned it to low and let cook over night.
4. I woke up in the morning and blended the cooked apples until smooth with my stick blender.
5. Then, I filled those three glass jars in the top picture. I didn't actually can/preserve them because I don't know how. I just put them in the fridge.
I thought it turned out great - I've been eating it on muffins, toast, and ice cream. Jenna made me a piece of toast with it after church today. (She wanted me to be sure to put that in.) Unfortunately, once again, I seem to be the only one who thinks it's really delicious. Corey liked the smell, Jenna tasted it and thought it was OK, same thing with Dion. Randy won't touch it. So, I guess I'll be eating a lot of applebutter.
3 comments:
I'm so glad you made some! We are loving ours! You do so much fun stuff with your kids. I love the idea of letterboxing. I think I might try it! Thanks for the link :)
The picture of the three jars is just beautiful. Why? I don't know. This is cracking me up because I just talked to Sunny who got a food-mill (to process cooked apples to make applesauce) and an apple corer/peeler deal. Ha. I guess it's the time of year or something.
Our applesauce is turning out AWESOME!!! Hooray!!!!! We'll end up with around 30 pints, I'm thinking. I like doing applesauce because it doesn't have to be actually canned/preserved; we just freeze it. Easy. And then, I think it's possible to do apple butter 'afterward', by adding the spices into the applesauce.... Mmmm, gotta look that up tho'....
Wait 'til you see the picture of our applesauce!! It's PINK!! The prettiest thing in a while! ;) I completely agree with Sydni about pictures of canned goods being 'beautiful'. Heehee
Post a Comment