Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!

So far we've had a lovely Easter - it's a beautiful, sunny day!

Yesterday we went to a city Easter egg "hunt", which I thought was lame. (Sorry to start out with a negative vibe.) Hordes of people gathered around 2 giant circles painted in the grass. When the fire engine blew it's horn you just entered the circle and picked up any hard candy that was thrown in the grass. Nothing was hidden. I guess it was meant for little, tiny kids. Dion said I shouldn't complain because it was FREE, after all. Of course, he's right. I've learned that our own Easter egg activities are way better. Oh, and also, I was appalled at the behavior of my oldest son - I saw him unabashedly swipe some candy right out from under the nose, or shall I say fingers, of a toddler and his mother. But, what's worse, I was so shocked by what he'd done and distracted by trying to keep an eye on Randy and Jenna among the masses, that I didn't issue swift and firm discipline - I only grabbed him and issued a quick lecture in passing. (Dion could've helped, but he was parking the van.)

Anyway, on a more upbeat note - Jenna and I dyed eggs. None of the males seemed that interested. That night we watched The Bee Movie. Very cute, I'd recommend it.

Today I woke up and made muffins. When the kids got up they saw that the Easter Bunny had delivered some candy and little gifts - a wheelbarrow and shovel for Randy, garden gloves and watering can for Jenna and a kite for Corey. While we ate Dion read the Easter story from the New Testament. We rushed and got ready for church. Dion sang in the choir - they did a great job. Dion saw Corey's talk (I couldn't go since I was with the Sunbeams) and said he did great. I only had 3 Sunbeams in class, all boys, so it was still a bit of a fiasco - maybe they'd all had too much sugar this morning.

After church we took Corey's kite, shaped like a jet, to the sledding park near our house. It was awesome! It flew really well. Dion was impressed by the loops and rolls it did. Jenna and Randy collected pinecones in the wheelbarrow. Then, we drove downtown to the church where we saw the band last week. Dion walked all around looking for a lost and found, but saw no sign of the camera anywhere. Shoot!

Now, a ham is in the oven and rolls are rising. I'll also make mashed potatoes and a salad. No dessert, though, we've had enough junk food!

So, Easter has been nice. It rivals Christmas as my favorite holiday. I love that it's spring, I love that we're celebrating the resurrection of the Lord.

1 comment:

Sydni said...

I have heard recently, several people say Easter is their favorite holiday. It is great that Corey's talk went well.

A wonderful Easter, thanks for sharing.