Friday, February 8, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dion!

First, I must wish my husband a very happy birthday! Right now he is in St. George with his friend, Timo. They played 18 holes of golf today and they'll play again tomorrow. An ideal way for him to spend his big day! The night before he left we had a little celebration with a giant cookie from Cookies By Design. Dion is a great husband and a great dad. Here are a couple of sweet posts from his sisters Debbie and Diane. Also, he put up some good posts and pictures on our Sandy Davidsons blog.

Corey is awesome at playing Bubble Breaker - a game on Dion's phone. In fact, he consistently scores higher than Dion and Dion doesn't like it. Corey just lets it flow, but Dion thinks really hard about strategies and such.

I had some birthday gift money left over from August so I ordered some face stuff and shampoo and conditioner from Burt's Bees on line. (I must like them since Burt is my maiden name.) I'm a little bit paranoid about harmful chemical ingredients, so I try to use natural stuff, like Tom's of Maine deodorant.

Jenna missed a day of school this week because she threw up several times in the night, but it wasn't one of her "dizzy" episodes. By that afternoon she was feeling better, but tonight Corey was complaining that his stomach hurt. Today was Jenna's last day on track, so we get to have her home for 3 weeks - yippy!

We went to the library and got some books that I'm excited about. And, of course, while we were there I found Randy with a stinky diaper. (I think I mentioned this phenomenon in a previous blog.) It's just something about the library. . .

Our neighbors asked us to get their mail because they said they were going to be gone from Feb. 7th to the 13th. So, we got their mail and newspaper yesterday and today, but when we got home from the library we saw them out front with a U-haul in their yard. What's all that about?

I've been doing my FlyLady missions. (Well, not all, but still, it's better than what I would've done.) The zone this week is the kitchen and I cleaned the fridge out and wiped off the fronts of the cabinets.

I got groceries last night. I would've gone during the day, but Jenna was at home sick and I didn't want to take her out, so I waited until Dion got home. I saved our shopping until that particular day because it was Harmon's PTA Day, so a portion of what we spent goes to Jenna's school (and a couple others). I even remembered to take my green bags. But, sheesh! That place was an absolute madhouse, a 3-ring circus! I had a hard time finding a parking place and once inside there were kids running all over because they were doing a "cake walk" over the loud speaker. The kids had to find a number and stand on it and if their number was chosen they would win a prize. They had popcorn and free samples and lots of little games going on. I even saw one of my old Activity Day girls there.

The Primary president called me today. Apparently, Corey's Primary class is a handful. There are a couple of boys that stir things up. So, they decided to split the class and separate said boys. But, the boys' parents didn't like that they were separated from each other. So, now they are splitting the class a different way and will have a class for the two boys with 2 male teachers (or possibly the boys' parents) that will hopefully be able to teach them a better way to behave. Anyway, the Primary president asked me if I'd rather have Corey in the class with the 2 boys or leave him in the class where he is - although, that would leave him the only boy with 4 girls. I know that having the 3 of them together has riled Corey up before. They are in Scouts together every week. I asked Corey what he thought and without missing a beat he said he would rather stay where he is with the girls. I called Dion and he agreed with Corey. I think that Corey would feel much more relaxed and able to listen by staying in the class where he is. And, if he happens to get obnoxious at all, it'll be easy to handle him when he isn't being spurred on by the other boys. Plus, he doesn't really care if he's the only boy in the class. I like that about him. So, I'll call the Primary president tomorrow and tell her what we decided.

I wanted to get a movie to watch from the library today. I had this whole long list of movies I want to see (and books to read) saved on our old computer. But, when Dion shuffled computers around I think the list either got deleted or he put it on an external hard drive and I don't know how to find it. Gr! Anyway, there really aren't that many good choices on a Friday afternoon at the library - all the good ones have already been taken. We watched another great and frustrating LOST last night. And, we have only one epsiode of The Office until we are caught up to season 4.

Last, we got Corey's feet x-rayed today. Corey's feet have always been odd. They have a really high curve on the top outsides and they kind of bend inward. A couple of years ago I asked the doctor what he thought and he decided that Corey's feet were strange enough to have them x-rayed. He gave me the written order, but I never went and had it done. Recently, we were buying shoes for the kids and when I had the kids' feet measured Corey's feet hadn't grown much and Jenna's feet were now the same size as his. So, I called radiology to see if they'd take my order for x-rays from Sept. 06 (which I had neatly stored away in my organized fashion, so I knew right where to find it), but they wouldn't. I called the kids' doc and his nurse had him fax a new order over to radiology. Today we went and had that done. Corey did great. He asked if he could see the pictures of his feet and they said it would be OK. I caught a quick glimpse and even to me they looked weird. (I didn't ask any questions though because the x-ray techs always claim that they aren't qualified to give any kind of info.) Instead of all the bones going straight forward they were at a diagonal pointing in. I wonder if he has really short tendons along the bottom of his feet or something. Corey's fine - he can walk, run, ride his scooter, etc. but all of his life he's had a strange gait. It's like instead of walking onto his heel and rolling forward to his toes he takes flat-footed steps. I don't want to be the type of mom that is looking for problems, but if something is wrong I'd rather get it taken care of than let it get worse and have a negative effect for the rest of his life. I'm interested to hear from his doctor.

We had clear blue skies today and no snow - very lovely and refreshing! That's it for today. Wait! P.S. It's now 12:04 and Corey just barfed. Looking forward to another restless night.

3 comments:

JeremyNSunny said...

Every time I come across a Burt's Bees product I think of you. lol

I agree with Corey about staying in his class. ;) [You know, my opinion counts for so much! lol] It actually sounds like an almost ideal situation for him!

I will read with interest the results of the x-rays!

Sydni said...

I did not know about Jenna's dizzy spells! I so hope Corey gets to feeling better and that this doesn't spread through your entire family.

Good for Corey about making a mature decision to stay with the girls.

Please keep us posted about Corey's feet, as you can or want to.

I really enjoyed Dion's sisters' posts in honor of Dion!

Sydni said...

Good job on Dion's b-day cookie! I liked seeing the picture of it on the Sandy blog!

It would be fun to receive a huge cookie in your very own honor. :)