Thursday, April 10, 2008

4/10/08

Thursday, April 3 was our stake temple day. So, we swapped kids with our friends, the Taggarts. Dion and I went in the morning then we watched their kids, and they went in the afternoon.

Friday, April 4 I took the boys to the homeschool skate at Classic Skating. I love it because it's so uncrowded and only $2. I even rented skates and skated a little. I thought it'd be like riding a bike, but it took me awhile to feel comfortable. We met another homeschooling mom with 3 kids. Her oldest boy was Corey's age and they hit it off. I picked up the "Becoming Jane" DVD from the library. It was OK. I like most of the actors in it, so I was surprised that I didn't love it.

Saturday, April 5 we cleaned the kids' rooms, watched General Conference and Corey had a soccer game. He got in some good kicks - his coach was pleased and told Corey he thought he was getting better.

Sunday, April 6 we watched the last two Conference sessions. Between the two of them we went on a walk with scooter, bike, stroller.

Monday, April 7 we went to Costco. That evening we went to Provo for cake and ice cream for Jaime's b-day. The kids always have such a good time and are reluctant to leave. Actually, we all are reluctant to leave since we enjoy the chatting so much.

Tuesday, April 8 I cut up a bunch of strawberries, cleaned the bathroom tubs/showers and counters, found a lost library book, talked to my Dad, and Jenna had piano lesson.

Wednesday, April 9 was very productive for me but a bad homeschool day for Corey. I mopped all the hard floors, put books on hold at the library, dusted the main floor, cleaned the kitchen counters and wiped down the small appliances. That night Dion brought "Alvin and the Chipmunks" for the kids to watch. I needed to get out of the house to snap out of my dreary mood, which has been stretching on for a few days, so I went to an Enrichment meeting. A woman who is a descendant of Hyrum Smith (Joseph Smith's older brother) brought some family heirlooms to show us - Lucy Mack Smith's footstool, a bell Joseph Smith, Sr. had used when he taught school and that Lucy later used to call the men in from the fields, a sturdy wooden box that Alvin Smith made (you could see where he carved his name) and then gave to Hyrum, and Hyrum's musket and sword from the Nauvoo Legion.

Other news: we have some chive and basil sprouts coming up in our little pots; Dion did some major rearranging, decluttering, organizing in his office and it looks good; still no progress with the potty but we are still practicing; I'm still unsettled about what to do for homeschooling for next year. I must like being unsettled - I cannot just make a decision, stick with it and devote my time and energy to it. I continually doubt and worry.

Today we're planning on going to the park for a walk and a picnic and probably some playground time - IF - Corey can get his work done (it's not looking good so far) and - IF - the sky doesn't cloud up and pour rain like it's been doing for the past many days.

Corey typed this: Dad let me have his Watto poster. It is amazing, he is the best dad.

3 comments:

Emily said...

i was disappointed with "becoming jane" too. i think my expectations were too high.

i wonder if your unsettled feeling is a stupor of thought?

Sydni said...

Good job on the herb growing.

I hope you get some good outdoor time... it's been snowing every day here for awhile now.

It's always so fun when you post.

JeremyNSunny said...

Hmm, good phrase, Emily, "stupor of thought." I had to laugh at your self-assessment about seeming to like being unsettled. The silver lining is that you are so free to choose! Do you think you would more-enjoy being more settled but having fewer choices?? (Sometimes I think I woudl! lol)

I'm envious of the Homeschool Skate; I rrrrreally hope we can discover things like that in Des Moines!!

We might get to start N on piano lessons shortly after we get to Des Moines! A 16yo homeschooled, musically-inclined young lady in the congregation has already offered her services!! How is Jenna doing, do you think? Do you have a piano at home on which she can practice? There is an unused piano sitting in the home of a G.V. church member; I am seriously considering making them an offer on it. Oh, how I would like to have a piano in our home!!!!! It was a major blessing to us kids growing up.

The historical items would fascinate me; I really like old pioneer-y stuff like that!!!

I look forward to having opportunities to get out of the house for an evening, to attend some kind of encouraging church fellowship with other ladies. Thankfull G.V. does stuff like that together; I've missed it very much.... :*(