Yes, I've done it! I made my way through Mary Wollstonecraft's
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman

It's definitely a good read, but not quick or easy. She certainly seemed to be ahead of her time and I agree with a lot of things she wrote. Her main concerns were with the state of ignorance in which society kept women and the need for better education, in general, but especially for females. I am grateful for women like her who helped make the world a place of opportunity and freedom for those of us living now. Here are a few of my favorite quotes:
"If we revert to history, we shall find that the women who have distinguished themselves have neither been the most beautiful nor the most gentle of their sex."
"The fact is, that men expect from education, what education cannot give. A sagacious parent or tutor may strengthen the body and sharpen the instruments by which the child is to gather knowledge; but the honey must be the reward of the individual’s own industry. It is almost as absurd to attempt to make a youth wise by the experience of another, as to expect the body to grow strong by the exercise which is only talked of, or seen. Many of those children whose conduct has been most narrowly watched, become the weakest men, because their instructors only instill certain notions into their minds, that have no other foundation than their authority."
"Would men but generously snap our chains, and be content with rational fellowship instead of slavish obedience, they would find us more observant daughters, more affectionate sisters, more faithful wives, more reasonable mothers - in a word, better citizens. We should then love them with true affection, because we should learn to respect ourselves; and the peace of mind of a worthy man would not be interrupted by the idle vanity of his wife."
3 comments:
WOW. I'm impressed. I like the last quote the best.
Great quotes by a woman with great thoughts. I share your appreciation for the work of (men and women) of the past who brought to light many truths that had been suppressed for centuries.
Congratulations on getting through that! I think it is hard to get through some "classics", because they are usually not exactly "page turners". With the economy in the toilet, I am debating whether I should try to finish my undergrad and do some graduate program, or whether I should have more kids (when we have more space and money). I want to do both, but I know that wouldn't work. It's tricky being female sometimes. :-) I wonder if reading that book would help me decide what to do?
Post a Comment