Monday, June 30, 2008

Silas Marner

Warning: Possible boringness ahead. This is a post mostly made up of quotes from a book I read. I normally type and print quotes from books that I like and put them in a folder, but today I thought I might as well record them in my blog (for my satisfaction, not necessarily for your enjoyment). So. . .

I finished reading Silas Marner by George Eliot today. It was a beautiful book. If I had the ambition and time I'd write a book report on it. I enjoyed finding that many small passages of the book addressed issues that I still think about today - for instance, if we could manage to keep all the food people throw away, we'd be able to feed the hungry; and, there's no point in buying new clothes for kids when they're going to grow so fast anyway; and, even when we're told that a child needs to be disciplined a certain way, when we try it, it just doesn't sit right in our hearts. Anyway, it was a sweet story. Here are some quotes:

"A little child knows nothing of parental love, but only knows one face and one lap towards which it stretches its arms for refuge and nurture."

* * * *

Dolly has brought some bread she made to Silas after his life-savings of gold has been stolen: "There's letters pricked on 'em," said Dolly. "I can't read 'em myself, and there's nobody rightly knows what they mean; but they've a good meaning, for they're the same as is on the pulpit-cloth at church. . . Well, whativer the letters are, they've a good meaning . . . for if there's any good, we've need of it i' this world."

* * * *

"Silas Marner sat lulling the child. She was perfectly quiet now, but not asleep - only soothed by sweet porridge and warmth into that wide-gazing calm which makes us older human beings, with our inward turmoil, feel a certain awe in the presence of a little child, such as we feel before some quiet majesty or beauty in the earth or sky - before a steady glowing planet, or a full-flowered eglantine, or the bending trees over a silent pathway."

* * * *

"Unlike the gold which needed nothing, and must be worshipped in close-locked solitude - which was hidden away from the daylight, was deaf to the song of birds, and started to no human tones, - Eppie was a creature of endless claims and ever-growing desires, seeking and loving sunshine, and living sounds, and living movements; making trial of everything, with trust in new joy. . . The gold had kept his thoughts in an ever-repeated circle, leading to nothing beyond itself; but Eppie was an object compacted of changes and hopes that forced his thoughts onward, and carried them far away from their old eager pacing towards the same blank limit."

* * * *

This quote reminded me of the questions that Joseph Smith had as a boy. Silas had come to a new town many years ago. In this conversation he's trying to describe to a neighbor woman how, in his old town, they'd drawn lots to determine who was guilty. She says: "And yourn's the same Bible, you're sure o' that, Master Marner - the Bible as you brought wi' you from that country - it's the same as what they've got at church, and what Eppie's a-learning to read in?" "Yes," said Silas, "every bit the same."

* * * *

"Perfect love has a breath of poetry which can exalt the relations of the least-instructed human beings."

* * * *

"Life never can be thoroughly joyous: under the vague dulness of the grey hours, dissatisfaction seeks a definite object, and finds it in the privation of an untried good. Dissatisfaction, seated musingly on a childess hearth, thinks with envy of the father whose return is greeted by young voices - seated at the meal where the little heads rise one above another like nursery plants, it sees a black care hovering behind every one of them, and thinks the impluses by which men abandon freedom, and seek for ties, are surely nothing but a brief madness."

* * * *

Good night!

2 comments:

Sydni said...

Thanks for sharing those. I never thought to collect quotes. It's a really good idea.

JeremyNSunny said...

Weird! (I haven't been to my blog yet today.) It freaks me out that I just last night decided to start posting to my blog items from my reading that are of special interest to me. !!!!!!!!!?! LOL!

Thanks for these. They brought out some good and interesting thoughts, and created in my mind some meaningful images. Mmmmm....